Abergele Parish Website
Church services Special events & services Church organisations Church buildings Church history Extra resources

Home page Tour map

Windows in Abergele Parish Church

A St Michael Window

The right hand light of this window shows St Michael killing the dragon while the left hand light pictures him holding scales, presenting justice, and a flaming sword, representing righteousness. It was erected in memory of the Carmichael family in the early 1900s and is by Shrigley and Hunt.

Return to plan of church

B St Elfod Window

This, the most modern window dated 1958, is by Maud Sumner and erected in memory of Canon W M Williams, who was Vicar of this parish from 1944 to 1955. It represents St Elfod, the Bishop of Bangor in the 9th century and a founder or benefactor of the Clas Celtic monastic community and church at this site. In the background the green represents the field and hills surrounding Abergele and the blue the Rive Gele itself. Elfod's pupil, Nennius is shown kneeling at his feet.

Return to plan of church

C The Last Supper

The east window behind the altar (on the south side of the church) shows the last supper, just after Judas had left. Above are the angels of the passion. The window was put in about 1930 as a memorial to Dr Peter Jones, a medical practitioner who resided at Llys Omnen and replaces the earlier stained glass.

Return to plan of church

D St Michael killing the Dragon

The east window on the north side was given by Lloyd Bamford Hesketh of Gwrych Castle in January 1851 to commemorate the Lloyds of Gwrych. It again shows St Michael slaying the dragon (or the devil), a reference to Revelation chapter 12 verses 7 to 9.

Return to plan of church

E Doxology Window

This window is also for the Heskeths and is flanked by tablets commemorating his family, with spaces left for countless generations. It is known as the doxology window since on the left hand light are the words Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost. The right hand light continues As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen. The banner across the angel reads Holy Holy Lord.

Return to plan of church

F Ascension Window

This window by Ward and Hughes dates from 1891. The central light show Jesus ascending with his right hand raised in blessing. Below him is the Blessed Virgin Mary with a companion, presumably St John who Jesus said should look after his mother (John Ch 17: 27). The two side lights show angels looking down at the disciples crouched awestruck below.

Return to plan of church

G Passion, Crucifixion and Resurrection

This window was erected in memory of the Revd Sir Nicholas and Lady Chinnery who died in the railway disaster of 1868. (The mass grave and memorial to the 33 victims of this disaster can be seen to the north of the church.) The left light shows Jesus carrying his cross, the central one the crucifixion and the right hand one the risen Christ.

Return to plan of church

H Gethsemane Window

This window shows Jesus at the last supper in the centre light and praying in the garden of Gethsemane on either side. Under each of these there is a smaller image representing from left to right

The Lamb of God carrying the flag of victory

The cross and thorns of the crucifixion

The pelican, which was said to feed its young with its own flesh, is used as a symbol of Christ who sacrificed his life on the cross.

The window is Victorian and was erected in memory of Richard Hughes and his family.

Return to plan of church

I Remnants of Medieval Glass

These fragments are all that remain of the original medieval glass windows, which were probably shattered by Cromwell's soldiers. They are mainly of heads and are mounted in nine diamond shapes. The picture on the left shows one of these diamonds and the head is most likely to be the Blessed Virgin Mary. The other heads may include Jesus, St Anne and Joachim (the parents of Mary). However some of the heads are more skillfully drawn and it is likely that they come from more than one window.

Return to plan of church